Sunday, November 29, 2015

Research Blog #8: Interview

Interview with Sam Casimir, Rutgers University Senior - Commuter


1.             Why do you commute?
                            a.     I commute because it's my most economically efficient option. I'm able to save money by not living on campus, and I only live 30 minutes away. Living on campus would double the cost of going to Rutgers, and since I plan on continuing my education, I would rather put off loans and save money.
                2.     Do you like commuting?
                            a.     Commuting have its pro and cons, and overall, I would rather not. Honestly, I hate commuting.
                3.     Given your commuting experience, if you were given the opportunity to live on campus, would you?
                            a.     Hell yes!
                4.     What are some challenges you face as a commuter?
                            a.     Driving back and forth take up a lot of time. Some days I spend more time in my car, than in classes.
                            b.     I see my parents too often.
                            c.      Not being able to be as involved on campus. There's a lot that goes on when you don't live on campus that you end up missing out on.
                            d.     It can get lonely, especially the first year at a school. It's harder to meet new people and you don't build friendships in the same way as someone who lives on campus. You don't have an established social network! You don't have a roommate, housemate, floormate, or whatever else there is. A lot of the connections you make are through people you meet in class (which a lot of people may or may not go to).
                            e.     Sometimes access to certain resources is dependent on being connected to RUWireless.
                            f.      The library isn't a walk or a bus away, it's a drive away. This means that it's not always the most practical location to study, although I wish it was. It also means that if I'm studying late on campus, I have to be conscience of how tired I am so I can drive home.
                            g.     I spend a lot of money paying for gas, especially since I drive an SUV.
                            h.     Bad weather, tough luck. If it's starts unexpectedly raining, I better hope I have an umbrella, some boots, and probably a sweater.
                            i.      When I have large gaps between classes, I don't have a dorm to go back to and relax.
                            j.      Living at home means all the fun of having responsibilities to the family.
                            k.     The reaction people have when they realize you commute… you might as well be a unicorn.
                            l.      If I have an early class on a campus other than the one I park on, I have to factor in the time it would take to drive, and also the time it would take to take a bus from one campus to another. The bus system is unreliable and has screwed me over so many times… It goes from saying 5 minutes to arriving. And not every professor is understanding when it comes to commuting.
                            m.    Food is also a struggle. When bringing food from home, I need to  microwave it… Which means the container needs to be microwavable, not to mention utensils. It's also a pain carrying around a container of food all day, especially if I'm going to be on campus from 10am to 11pm.
                            n.     You're less likely to be involved on campus events.
                            o.     You're most likely not to involved in the party scene.
                            p.     I can go on and on about the disadvantages of commuting
                5.     What are some benefits you think you have as a commuter, if any?
                            a.     At the end of the day, I get to sleep in my own bed.
                            b.     I'm saving money.
                            c.      It's not a huge deal if I lose my RUID card.
                            d.     You don't have to worry about sketchy roommates.
                            e.     Free housing and privacy.
                            f.      Basic people get to be jealous of my car.
                6.     Have you changed the way you commuted now in your senior year versus your freshman year? If so, how?
                            a.     The way that I commute now, as a senior, is definitely different.
                            b.     Freshman year, when I had large gaps of time between classes I would drive back home. Now as a senior, I know different places where I can either relax or get work done. Also, now once I get to campus, I stay on campus till I'm done.
                            c.      I avoid rush hour at all costs, and plan when the best time to drive is. I also know which roads to take when the traffic is bad.
                7.     What have you learned/had to adjust over your years of commuting?
                            a.     Over the past 4 years, I've learned how much of a pain commuting can be.
                            b.     I know a ton of good places to get food around campus.
                            c.      Be prepared for any situation: rain, snow, unexpectedly hot day, business-causal event, or even a gym day.
                8.     Would you say that you are fully engaged on campus as much as a residential student it? If not, why do you think this is?
                            a.     I'm definitely not as engaged as the average residential student. A lot of events and clubs take place at night. At the end of a long day of classes, I want to take a nap… which I can't really do without going home. Or, if I end early, the last thing I want to do is wait 5 hours for something that's going on later. Or, sometimes it comes down to: do I want to spend the next 2 hours I'm going to be on campus for going to this random event, or chill with friends?
                9.     Do you think commuting has a negative impact on your academics and/or ability to do well in school?
                            a.     Commuting can have a negative impact if you let it. Not only is it so much easier to be late to class, but it's so much easier to slack off. Like most people, I can't get much work done from home (which is why I spend so much time on campus). However on weekends, the worst part is leaving home to go to the library. I literally waste some weekends because I can't get myself out of the house. Not even because I don't want to do work, but I can't bring myself to drive to school… It's a pain.
                10.    Do you feel like you miss out” on the college experience because you commute?
                            a.     Definitely. I think that living on campus is a different experience. Rutgers becomes a home away from home for a lot of residential students. I haven't had that. A prime example is that I've been going here for 4 years and the first Rutgers football game I've gone to was last week. How many residential students can say the same? I don't feel a sense of "Rutgers pride". It's the place I go to for classes, to chill, and get multiple parking tickets.
                11.    Is there any other comments you would like to make about the subject based on your experience?
                            a.     While commuting does have it's disadvantages, it's what you make of it. While it's not as easy to get involved and meet new people as it is for a residential student, just sticking around for an hour or so after class can make all the difference.
                            b.     Being a commuter has definitely been a growing experience. In order to meet new people and find my circle, I've had to branch out of my shell and actually talk to people. (Which is always fun for an introvert)

                            c.      Lastly, I think one of the great things about living on campus, is that it forces you to be independent… you don't get that as much with commuting.

I interviewed Sam because I knew she was a commuter student. I also knew that she would
provide me with accurate and truthful answers to my questions. Her responses are quite 
valuable to my paper as they highlight some of the key points that I address. 

No comments:

Post a Comment